Whitehead railway station serves Whitehead in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. The station has two platforms with a waiting room on each and the station is signalled in both directions and remains manned during commuter hours by a Senior Porter, who luckily for the commuters is a fully trained signalman, capable of fixing points and signalling issues when they arise.
Previously the line was double towards Belfast and Whitehead was where the track narrowed to the single track section to Larne. However, in the 1990s the up line was removed from here to Kilroot due to safety reasons, leaving the line Whitehead station as a passing loop.
Whitehead actually comprises two stations, thanks to its history as a railway excursion town. The through station is still part of the Northern Ireland Railways network, whilst the terminus Whitehead Excursion Station is the headquarters of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland.
Whitehead station was originally opened on 1 May 1863 and the Whitehead Excursion Platform was opened on 10 July 1907. The present station was opened in 1877 and is the third station to serve the town. It has been modernised, but unlike many stations on the NIR network still retains much of its Victorian character.
The new Park and Ride at Lynda Avenue, just off the Jordanstown Road, provides 66 car parking spaces. Cleary Contracting were honoured to be involved in this new facility.
Speaking at the launch of the new facility the Minister said: “I am confident these spaces, which include four spaces for people with disabilities, will help to accommodate the growing passenger numbers and alleviate traffic congestion in the area. It will further benefit the east Antrim community and help to attract more people to choose the train.”
Overview of the Project:
Creation of a new Park & Ride facility on vacant grounds adjacent to a live railway line and beside Jordanstown Railway Station. The works included the provision of 66 parking spaces, extending CCTV and lighting, access ramp to station platform, petrol interceptor, new walls and fencing. Within the scope of works we removed the rear boundary hedges of 5 private dwelling and constructed a new brick faced retaining wall approx. 221m long. Working at interfaces of the local residents, Jordanstown Bowling Club, live railway and passengers the project was successfully completed on time. The project was registered with Considerate Constructors Scheme and scored 33/40.
Duration of project: 18 weeks
Jordanstown Railway Station
Design II Architects
This project was similar to the works undertaken in Package l. The works involved managing numerous live sites with day and night working on the Belfast – Larne line and Belfast – Derry line rail network.
22 railway stations on the Belfast – Larne line and Belfast – Derry line